Saturday, August 21, 2010

21st ANNIVERSARY!

Can you believe it's been 21 years since Tony stepped on my dress and then took me to the altar?!? (One very vivid memory of our wedding day was how many times that man stepped on my dress.) August 19th, 1989 Tony and I were sealed for time and all eternity in the Mesa AZ Temple. We were married at 9:00am as I wanted to be a bride ALL day! After the wedding we took tons of pictures around the temple grounds. Long-sleeved, high-collared dress with full skirt + Arizona August Heat & Humidity = MELTING BRIDE. Well, that's what it felt like!!!! After the pictures, we headed to a church building for a luncheon. We had lots of advice given to us......my dad: "I already gave them advice, but they got married today anyways!" followed by laughter....my brother: "Their marriage must already be in trouble if they're asking a teenager for advice!" followed by more laughter (sidenote: Jean-Jacques was 17.....but I was only 19....we were both teenagers!) Isn't my family hilarious!?! Our pink reception that night was held in an orange carpeted stake center......lovely! No matter though - I loved it!!! So did my little cousins. Actually, our reception was talked about - at length - for quite some time. Papa declared that no one would be able to top it! We had FRESH flowers as centerpieces (not commonly seen at church house receptions back in the 80s) and a huge fresh flower centerpiece on the refreshments table. Our refreshments weren't just cake, nuts, mints and punch.....we also added chocolate dipped strawberries and chocolate truffles. We had pink lemonade - de-pulped.....yes, DE-PULPED, so it could be put in a fountain for punch.....THAT LIT UP IN THE CENTER! I know.....I just blew your mind!!!!!!! We ordered a gazebo for our guest book and an extra one for the cake! (the cake....I'll spare you the story.....the only thing I HATED about my wedding.....my ugly, UGLY cake!!!!! No wonder I ended up taking cake decorating classes!) We had a big area sectioned off with a little white picket fence for dancing. We even had a DJ up on the stage. That DJ played "our song".....Debbie Gibson "Lost in Your Eyes" Tony chooses to never remember that that is our song. When he finally says what it is....he calls it "In Your Eye" In 2004, we attended a Van Halen concert - featuring Sammy Hagar (this fulfilled Tony's biggest regret in his life....all I can say is - wow) After the concert, I joked that we should have picked "When It's Love" for our song. Tony was TOO excited about this and has officially (in his mind) changed "our song" to this. It is quite romantic......you know, with a big scream at the beginning! (Emily....I know you don't approve. Don't worry, the Debbie Gibson song is what's on our wedding video) After our beautiful reception, we said good-bye and left the building. In the parking lot we were finally alone.....it was then that we realized........we had NO car. We had to walk back into the building (getting harrassed every step of the way) and reveal that we didn't have transportation. After trying to retrace many peoples steps....we figured out my car was at Mita's and Papa's house. Papa drove us there and then we were officially on our own! And we lived happily ever after.....like from "Pretty Woman" happily ever after.....you know, he rescues her and she rescues him right back. Isn't that marriage in a way? Two people joined together through all the ups and downs. Through all our strengths and weaknesses. Through the sadness and joy. Through the $$$ and no $$$. Through the babies and kids and TEENAGERS! Through the time for each other and no time for each other. That's how I view it.....and more importantly.....that how I've lived it and will continue to live it.......FOR TIME AND ALL ETERNITY!

7 comments:

La Famille B said...

Your wedding was the best. No one has topped it since. You and Tony are one amazing couple. And you kids are so lucky to have you as parents. Hope you had a wonderful anniversary!

Tabitha (From Single to Married) said...

Happy Anniversary Nicole! (ps - I want to see PICTURES!!) :)

Becky and Brian said...

I can't believe it has been that long! It was a fun day for everyone! What a wonderful family you and Tony have made!

Heather said...

Love you guys and I for one am glad there are no pictures. I'm afraid to see that dress I was in, lol! You're awesome and I'm excited to be closer again. Big hugs and congrats!

Jen Hakes said...

Love the walk down memory lane. Wish I could have been there to remember right along will all of my other cousins. Congrats!

jachakes said...

You had a fairy tale wedding and lived happily ever after! As you wish!

Christin said...

I totally LOVED your wedding. And I love that we share the same wedding anniversary. I can totally relate to the melting bride thing.