Monday, February 21, 2011

REFLECTIONS

Our sunset was so beautiful Friday night I had to capture it. It was just before a nice rainy weekend. I love rainy weekends. I pretend I don't live in a desert but up in the Pacific Northwest. Then it stops raining, everything dries out and I'm thankful to live in the desert again where I don't deal with the constant damp. This last weekend I also attended a funeral. Kirk and Karen Jones used to live in our ward. About 2 1/2 years ago, Kirk was diagnosed with ALS and they needed a single level home to make getting around easier. After they moved we heard occasional updates on his health and a week ago Sunday we heard that he would be passing away within the week. I spent all day Valentine's day thinking about Kirk and Karen and their family. They're such a great family and have been great examples to me and my family. He passed away on February 15th and they funeral was on Saturday. On the back of the funeral program they had their family's mission statement printed. Again, they are such an example to us! Tony and I have given ourselves the challenge of making a family mission statement. Today I'll leave you with the Jones Family Mission Statement:
Our family is responsible for maintaining a home where we are happy, have fun are safe and care for each other. We live our lives based on Christ centered principles and values. Our family accepts who we are and recognizes who we can be. We are a humble family that seeks higher learning. Our family is doing whatever it takes to be a celestial family, to live together with our Heavenly Father and we will have joy in the journey.

4 comments:

Jen Hakes said...

Holy cow! I thought you had found that picture online or something. It is so cool!

Jen Hakes said...

Also, my friend's husband died of ALS last year. Very devistating disease. A mission statement is a wonderful idea. Something that can even be changed and added upon throughout the years.

jachakes said...

Beautiful! Make you want to stop and appriciate the small things!

Heather said...

That was beautiful. Thank you for sharing.