Tuesday, October 30, 2012

DAY 30 - THE PENULTIMATE POST (for the 31 day series)


I can't believe this month is almost over!  I'm happy I participated in the 31 day series.  I discovered my greatest challenges in life are also my greatest joys.
I realized that all the annoying little changes to my life and schedule over the last 16 years have only changed me for the better.
I've realized that being really tired may just mean you need to shake things up a bit.  (Sometimes it just means that you're really, really tired!)
I've also realized that what you think is frustration may just be sadness that things are changing too fast.  That your babies turned into boys that morphed into young men and you only have 18 months left before the first one leaves the nest. 
 
One of these days you’ll explode and shout to all the kids, “Why don’t you just grow up and act your age!” And they will…
Or, “You guys get outside and find something to do — without hurting each other And don’t slam the door!” And they don’t.
You’ll straighten their bedrooms until it’s all neat and tidy, toys displayed on the shelf, hangers in the closet, animals caged. You’ll yell, “Now I want it to stay this way!” And it will…
You will prepare a perfect dinner with a salad that hasn’t had all the olives picked out and a cake with no finger traces in the icing and you’ll say, “Now this is a meal for company.” And you will eat it alone…
You’ll yell, “I want complete privacy on the phone. No screaming, Do you hear me?” And no one will answer.
No more plastic tablecloths stained. No more dandelion bouquets. No more iron-on patches. No more wet, knotted shoelaces, muddy boots or rubber bands for ponytails.
Imagine…. a lipstick with a point, no babysitters for New Years Eve, washing clothes only once a week, no PTA meetings or silly school plays where your child is a tree, no car pools, blaring stereos or forgotten lunch money.
No more Christmas presents made of library paste and toothpicks, no wet oatmeal kisses, no more tooth fairy, no more giggles in the dark, scraped knees to kiss or sticky fingers to clean.
Only a voice asking, “Why don’t you grow up?” And the silence echoes: “I did”
- Erma Bombeck

I'm so glad I invested in Kleenex, excuse me while I go use some.
You can start on Day 1 here or 
check out the other 31 Dayers here.
 

1 comment:

La Famille B said...

So after I read this, I had to close the window and get the kleenex. It makes me recommit to enjoying all their childhood (good and bad) and not just endure it. I have loved following your 31 days.